Saturday 27 November 2010

Learning to Bargain

On Friday we went to the Masai Market.I was looking for one of those little wood carvings.My Dad told me that here you have to bargain,because there is no set price.I wanted a medium sized Gazelle.A guy came up to us and showed me one we asked the price,KSH 3500(Kenyan Shillings),My Dad put on the voice that he normally puts on when he is talking to someone from a different country or language and said,"no,no,no,no,a lady over there was selling something the same size as this for KSH 500." So we walked away and the guy shouted for us to come back,so we came back and walked away again a couple of times.Eventually he offered us KSH 1000 and my Dad said "no, no, no. We'll pay 600." He said "800!" Then my Dad said "you say 800, I say 600, let's make it 700." So we agreed on this price. I walked away happy.

Note: 1 Pound is worth about 130 KSH. So the starting price was about £27 and the final price was about £5.

2 comments:

  1. By the way, there was a lady selling something the same size for 500, but it was a different animal. While it may be fair to make things up when bargaining, just letting you know it was actually true :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bobby has learned an valuable skill for cross-cultural living!

    ReplyDelete