Thursday 24 November 2011

From Kenya

Well, finally arrived on Tuesday afternoon. Got to the airport on Sunday afternoon and eventually the flight was delayed because of fog. They sent us to a hotel. I would of gone home had I known what was coming, but it looked like we would get on the plane early in the morning. We eventually left at about 12:30pm on Monday, only to arrive in Nairobi at midnight. Of course, all the planes to the coast weren't leaving until the morning. Despite promising hotels, Kenya Airways didn't do anything for us when we got there. I probably would have stayed at the airport anyway. So I sat in a chair in the luggage pick up area from about 1:30 am until 5 am. Met a nice Muslim Tanzanian guy there. We sat and talked about all those taboo topics, religion, politics, etc. Made for a nice, but tiring night. Got to Kenya Airways domestic and they had no idea there was a problem Eventually most of us got to Mombasa on the 9:30 am flight, which also ended up being late. Thankfully my co-worker Benjo picked me up in Mombasa and we made the two hour drive up to Watamu.

Got stuck in snorkeling that afternoon. Water felt like a bath, but was still mentally refreshing, anyway. Been meeting folks, helping Benjo with moving ahead in the marine work, and getting the lay of the land. Was doing some training in coral reef research. Seeing some old fish friends has been nice.

There are so many opportunities here, just a matter of where to focus. More on that in another post. We don't have internet yet at the A Rocha centre, but hope to soon. So for now I am suffering again at the hotel on the beach from last year where I type to the sounds of waves crashing on the beach and sit with a glass of passion fruit juice at my side.

No comments:

Post a Comment