Friday 25 November 2011

Mosquitoes

I am writing this while trying to swat mosquitoes and remembering my sermon at church a few weeks ago where I introduced the advent appeal for mosquito nets for Malawi. Long-story, but basically now I am putting to use the information I was talking about then. Putting on insect repellent, sleeping under a mosquito net, and taking malaria tablets. Should be ok, of course, but all the buzzing around me right now doesn't inspire confidence.

Imagine if I didn't have the money to by the malaria tablets. Imagine if the centre didn't have the foresight to put up a mosquito net in each room. (oh, there is a big crab walking across the floor right now, nice visitor from the beach! Actually a few, I think there will be an interesting fight.) Imagine if I didn't have the money to buy insect repellent. Well, that is the situation for most people in this area of Africa and the reality is, many get malaria. In fact, over 1 million people each year die of malaria, most in sub-saharan Africa. Even if I get it, which is unlikely given the precautions, I have enough money and access to medical care that I most certainly won't die. Doesn't seem fair, and its not. Some good news before I left the UK about a malaria vaccine, but still a long way to go on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment